How to apply silicone correctly
HOW TO PREPARE THE SUBSTRATE?
It's essential that both surfaces are clean and degreased. If there are remnants of old sealers, remove them with the help of our Cured Silicone Remover.
HOW TO CREATE A JOINT?
First, to avoid the cracking of the joint or the detachment of the sealant, adequate working conditions must be ensured:
• The minimum depth of the joint must be 4 mm., maximum 12mm. The recommended depth is 6 mm.
• The minimum joint width should be 6 mm. and the maximum 25 mm.
• For joints up to 12 mm. wide, the depth should be 6 mm.
• For joints greater than 12 mm. wide, the width and depth ratio should be 2:1, the maximum joint depth being 12 mm.
• At points where deeper joints are needed and when necessary, a polyethylene filler cord should be inserted. Our Politen Cel is available in various diameters ranging from 10 to 50 mm. Keep in mind that the minimum amount of sealant on a polyethylene cord should be 6 mm.
• In joints with movement, the welding fillet should be avoided as it may damage it. The insertion of the filling cord ensures correct adhesion on both sides and a correct tension force in the joint.
Use our Politen Cel as long as the seal to be sealed is very deep. It guarantees the correct band to both parties.